English proverbs you must know! part 2







Welcome to my next post about English proverbs you must know. Some people say that proverbs are words of God, others would rather think they are wisdom of nations. It doesn't really matter which group you belong to, the fact is that proverbs carry a massive load of good advice and tips how to live. Proverbs are tricky for foreign learners because they can never be translated word by word. Each nation has their own proverbs, whose meaning may be international but if we translate them literally they are usually completely different. 

Today I prepared another 10 English proverbs with their Polish equivalents. Here they are:




As easy as pie - very easy. The synonym of this expression is a piece of cake

The tasks I was to do were as easy as pie.
I need your help, John. I'm hopeless at maths but for you it's a piece of cake.


Polish: Bułka z masłem.








The early bird catches the worm - people who wake up and start work early will achieve a success. If you want to become successful you can't sleep your life.

Wake up, Susan! It's time for school. Only the early bird catches the worm.


Polish: Kto rano wstaje, temu Pan Bóg daje.






The night owls who like to work at night and sleep until noon would rather say:





Which of those two suits you better? I'm a night owl but  I must admitt honestly that waking up early after an 8-hour sleep makes me feel much happier and powerful than staying in bed late. Who will catch the worm then? ;)




Don't judge the book by its cover - Sometimes things look different than they really are. An unattractive man may be a very valuable person. A sleazy cafe from the outside, can be a place with delicious coffee and  fantastic atmosphere... 


Maybe she's not beautiful but she is a really fantastic girl. Never judge the book by its cover.



Polish: Nie oceniaj książki po okładce.












Never look a gift horse in the mouth - don't be ungrateful if you receive a gift. Don't be critical or suspicious of something you got at no cost.


Well, maybe the car your grandad gave you is not the coolest motor in the world but you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.


Polish: Darowanemu koniowi w zęby się nie zagląda.








Every cloud has a silver lining - it is usually said to someone who feels hopeless and overwhelmed by a serious problem. It means that often difficult times can lead to better days.


When I lost my job two months ago I was really depressed, but then, I found a better one. Now I do what I love and even earn more money. You see, every cloud has a silver lining.

Polish: Nie ma tego złego, co by na dobre nie wyszło.








My home is my castle. - means that you can do whatever you want in your own home.


I'll play the music as loud as I like. My home is my castle.

Polish: Mój dom jest moją twierdzą.








Better late than never - doing something late is better than not doing it.


- I'm really sorry for the delay.
- Don't worry. Better late than never.

Polish: Lepiej pózno niż wcale.







A drowning man will clutch at a straw - when you are desperate because you've realised that your hope of success is fading, you will try anything even if you know that it won't help you very much.


I know that this solution will probably not save our company but a drowning man will clutch at a straw.

Polish: Tonący brzytwy się chwyta.






A friend in need is a friend indeed - a true friend is a person who will help you if you really need help. Life verifies who really is our friend and does not leave us in need.


Sam helped me when I was in trouble, now it's my turn. A friend in need is a friend in deed.

Polish: Prawdziwych przyjaciól poznaje się w biedzie.






All that glitters is not gold - this proverb is often used as a warning and means that even if something  looks very attractive it may be worthless. Not everything that is shiny and beautiful is valuable. Appearances can be deceiving. The synonym of this proverb is already known 'Don't judge a book by its cover'.


Those kids are very popular and seemingly cool but all that glitters is not gold.


Polish: Nie wszystko zloto, co się świeci.




Listen to the song 'Everything that glitters in not gold':





Let's call it a day! Ha ha ha it's another proverb which means that we've already finished for today. Phew :)

Take care!

Ciao!




Komentarze

  1. Very useful :) Thanks!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. Świetne i w moim guście - fajne idiomy i zabawne obrazki :) Wbijam wszystko w pamięć, na pewno kiedyś się przyda :)

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz

Popularne posty z tego bloga

'I wake up early ' - Present Simple

English idioms you must know!

Valentine's Day - IDIOMS & Top Ten British romantic movies