Spring & Easter idioms




Hi! Sunny spring has just come and everyone seems to be more cheerful and full of energy than during those miserable winter days (brrrr...). Easter is coming soon and I hope you have sent or handed in cards to your family and friends. If not, this post can help you write beautiful wishes: Easter wishes . If you'd like to know how Easter is celebrated in some European countries, click here: Easter around the world.

In this post you will find lots of new English idioms - they all have a word associated with spring or Easter, for example: egg, bunny, sun, rabbit, basket, sheep, grass or just... spring!
All the idioms I have chosen for this post are used commonly in everyday English language.




#1

  to have a spring fever
to be full of energy and joy that the spring season has come

wiosenny przypływ energii, wiosenne ożywienie




Look at Jason! He seems to have a spring fever. I haven't seen him so joyful for a long time.



#2

a ray of sunshine
a person who brings joy when she or he arrives

promyczek, słoneczko (o osobie)





My son is my ray of sunshine. He always cheers me up :)





#3

to egg someone on
to encourage or persuade someone to do something risky

podpuszczać kogoś, namawiać do zrobienia czegoś 



I didn't want to do that, Aiden egged me on and now ... he's gone :(



#4

to walk on eggshells
to act overly carefully to avoid upsetting someone

obchodzić się (z kimś) jak z jajkiem





 The littlest thing tends to anger my boss, so everybody feels like they have to walk on eggshells around her. I'm hoping to find a new job soon as this constant tension in unbearable!



#5

to be no spring chicken
to not to be young anymore, rather old

nie być pierwszej młodości/ mieć swoje lata/nie mieć już osiemnastu lat

Pamiętacie, że 'spring' to nie tylko 'wiosna', ale także 'sprężyna' ?



!!!! Remember that SPRING has two meanings, it means not only this:


but also this:






Maybe I'm no spring chicken anymore but I still have lots of plans for new adventures in my life. 




#6

to spring into action
to get to work quickly and with energy or force


ruszyć do działania, przystąpić do akcji








I expect the whole team to spring into action immediately!

And what did you do then? I sprang into action, you would have done the same if you were me.


!!! sprang - irregular past simple form !!!




#7

to put all your eggs in one basket

to put all your thoughts, energy, time, hope  and money into one plan and have no other possibilities if things go wrong


postawić wszystko na jedną kartę




                                                                                 


                                                                            


All our trouble began when you put all your eggs into one basket and we lost all our savings...


***

I hope you enjoyed the post and you found the idioms useful! In Part 2 you will find next portion of spring and Easter idioms. I will be back soon with a brand new post.

Cheerio ;)




Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

'I wake up early ' - Present Simple

English idioms you must know!

Valentine's Day - IDIOMS & Top Ten British romantic movies